We all want to do the best and the right thing during this crisis. Clearly for those previous employees who were on the payroll on 28th February and now without employment, the challenges are huge.
The government’s official guidance is that those employees on your 28th February payroll who were made redundant and then rehired can be furloughed (the government do not go on to say that this is the case for any other employee). Click here if you’d like a copy of our template response to requests for rehiring.
If you’re looking for ways to support previous employees without rehiring them here are a few suggestions:
- Provide online training courses without charge (think CV writing, interview skills, new business start-up coaching)
- Put them in contact with recruitment agencies for roles that might be available now
- Suggest a volunteer group they could support (a great addition to their CV for when the market picks up)
- Direct them to government agencies which might be able to help with financial support
- Support with a reference which sets out the role they did and their responsibilities